BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Bradbury Barracks 
These barracks may have been named after the VC winner, Captain Edward Kinder Bradbury, Royal Horse Artillery. Used as a Panzer Barracks by the Wehrmacht, the barracks was originally named Neue Kaserne. This unimaginative name stemmed from the fact that the town already had a barracks when this one was built.
 
 
Home to:
 
1st Bn York and Lancaster Regiment ?-1948
1st Bn Manchester Regiment 1948-1950
2nd Bn Grenadier Guards 1950- Sep 1952
2nd Bn Coldstream Guards 1952-1955
1st Bn Coldstream Guards 1955-1958
No 2 (Line of Communications) Regiment Jan 1958-1960 (1)
10th Signal Regiment (Army Group) 1960-? (2)
 16 Signal Regiment 1960-1994
7 Signal Regiment 1994-2002
Closed in 2002.
 
(1) Designated 16 Signal Regiment (BAOR). The suffix (BAOR) was dropped shortly afterwards.
(2) Arriving from Meeanee Barracks, Essen in October 1960. 
 

As it was in German hands.

 

16 Sig Regt moved out in 1994, 7 Sig Regt taking over around Easter - I know as I was 'moved' along with the rest of 7 Sigs, having only been in Herford 4 or 5 months. It was a bit of a shocker going from single man rooms in Herford to 4 man (Siggies and Lance Jacks) or tiny little broom cupboards (Full Screws). Still, Krefeld was a cracking place to be posted, and relatively close to the ferry ports - no filling up with Benz at Wankum with your fuel coupons when heading home on leave!

All the best Jim Toms

 

Courtesy of Mr Ron Hempstead, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
 
Courtesy of Mr Ron Hempstead, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
 
Courtesy of Mr Ron Hempstead, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Ron Hempstead, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
 
 
2nd Bn Grenadier Guards 
 
Left -  Changing sentries at Bradbury Barracks, Krefeld - 1952

Right -  Escort to the Colour Rehearsal in Bradbury Barracks, Krefeld. The escort was provided for the King's Birthday Parade at Düsseldorf's Rhine Centre - June 1951.

Sgt of The Guard – Bradbury Barracks, Krefeld - 1952.

The long walk back to No 1 Company Block, Bradbury Barracks, Krefeld - 1952

 
An extremely powerful image showing 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards' Corps of Drums  

Beating the Retreat at Bradbury Barracks. Drum Major L Mayhew can be seen foremost   - 1951/952.

                                                                                                                   Courtesy of the late John Westwell BEM

Krefeld. 1951/2. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Lt Colonel C.Earle. D.S.O. leads the 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards out of Bradbury Barracks in September 1952 en route to the UK. (Lt Col Charles Earle was a former Adjutant of RMA Sandhurst)
 
 
 
 
Establishment of the Anglo-German Society
 
In 1971, the Anglo-German Society (Deutsch-Englische Gesellschaft) was established on the initiative of 16 Signal Regiment's then CO, Lt Col J R Gibson (with significant input from his German born wife Marianne Gibson), Oberburgermeister Hansheinz Hauser (The Mayor of Krefeld) and Oberstadtdirektor Dr Hermann Steffans (The Town Clerk), providing as it did the opportunity to meet socially on a monthly basis, the society's membership included those associated with the Regiment, Krefeld's German citizens and expatriate Britons. The society flourished (there were soon more than 450 members), and as well as encouraging increased social contact, it also promoted sporting events, entertainment and welfare work in which the Regiment and Krefeld's institutions co-operated.
Krefeld had been twinned with Leicester since 1969 and the links between the German and English cities were strengthened by the Regiment through, for example, the establishment of the Leicester Room in the Regiment's Headquarters and the presentation by Leicester City Council of the Leicester Trophy, an inter-troop sports trophy competed for bi-annually.
On 5 September 1972, 16 Sig Regt had one of its proudest ceremonial occasions when it received the Freedom of the City of Krefeld. The first time that such a significant honour had been granted to a British Regiment in West Germany, it marked and reflected the increasingly close links that 16 Sig Regt had developed with Krefeld after more than a decade in residence at Bradbury Bks.
JRG 
 
 
Above and below are various photographs of 16 Sig Regt receiving the Freedom of the City of Krefeld in 1972.                                  
 Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                                                                                                                        Courtesy of JRG 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                        Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                                                                                                         Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                                                                                                        Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                                                                                                        Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                                                                                                               Courtesy of JRG
 
                                                                                    Courtesy of JRG