BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Mackenzie King Barracks 
 
Home to:
 
 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards 1945-1946
A Sqn Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) circa 1950
 
31 Berkaer Straße, Mackenzie King Barracks - 1950.
Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.
 
Mackenzie King Barracks, was situated at Elster Platz, Berlin from 1945 to 1951. The first known British unit to be stationed here was the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards. The stayed here until the winter of 1946 (when the arrived and the exact month they departed is unclear, but they definately had left by Nov 46).  An armoured car sqn was later stationed here until relieved by an armoured sqn.  In 1951 the barracks were closed and the armoured sqn moved to Spandau.
 The barracks were sited in the Grünewald district of Berlin and was originally a Jewish old people's home. The building was taken from them by the Gestapo and used by them until the war ended.
Initially on the end of the war it is believed that the camp was in Canadian hands (the British allowed the Canadians into Berlin first as the had had a hard war) and then it obviously fell into British ownership. It is said been that the camp  is now a Jewish old people's home again.
 
Royal Horse Guards, guard mount-1950.
Courtesy of Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.
 
Royal Horse Guards, guard mount-1950.
Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.
 
How it was in 1991 - not very dissimilar to how it was in 1950.
Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.
As stated above, the building is now used as an old people's home again.
Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.
Ex 22205445 Trooper Pat Howlett. "A" Squadron RHG 1950-54.